Monday, December 8, 2014

Homemade protein bars

Yay. I'm finally posting about food.
A lot of the recipes I post are going to be based around the macros I follow during the various stages of my prep. These can be modified to fit various macros. 

So I'm not a big fan of oatmeal. I like it dry (not too runny) and I'm often in a rush in the morning so sitting down to enjoy a nice hot bowl of oatmeal isn't often in the cards. I also get a some protein with breakfast. I discovered a quick and convenient way to get both of these each morning. Below is my homemade protein breakfast bar (would also be great post workout) 

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup of oats 
Scoop of whey (I'm using 2/3 of a scoop of 1st phorm Level1)
Water (peanut butter or honey/agave could also be used if your macros allow) 


Process
1. Dump your oats and whey in a bowl. 


2. Add enough water (or peanut butter and/or honey) just for it to stick together. Stir it. I used a few tablespoons of water. Add just a little at a time cause you don't want to over do it. It should look like this when you're done. (You could also just stop here and eat this. It's delish!) 

3. Pack it into a container lined with parchment paper. (This could also be rolled into balls for little snacks) 

4. Put it in the fridge several hours. I do mine overnight. 

In the morning. Grab and enjoy

You could also double, triple the recipe and make a few days worth. Just bag them up so they dont get too dry. 

Macros for my recipe: 
Calories: 243
Fat: 5g
Carbs: 30g
Protein: 22g

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer. Finally came in to check your blog but I've been following you on Instagram for awhile now. You're a great inspiration. Wish I had your determination and strength. You're doing great and I wish you all the best.
    Well, may I know if there are any side effects of consuming whey protein? In fact I've been seeing almost everyone fit having it. Is it a necessary? I don't even know where to find it here in Sri Lanka. What else can I have as a substitute. I apologise for the long comment and I know how busy you are so hope you can reply when time permits. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Whey protein is not necessary! It's just an easy and quick absorbing form of protein. Whey protein comes from milk. You can also just eat other sources of protein to get your total daily intake. What I like about whey is you can have a shake or a small snack with it thats high in protein but not super filling. If you can't get it, you can just stick with whole food sources of proteins like dairy, lean meats and eggs.

      Delete