Sunday, December 7, 2014

How I lost 100 pounds

I'll try to keep this post a concise yet as detailed as possible.
June 2011: I took that "before" picture in a bikini that I shouldn't have been wearing. I did not wear that outside the house, EVER. I weighed 249lbs. I was absolutely disgusted with myself. What I see in those pictures is not what I saw in the mirror. And it wasn't at all a reflection of how I felt. But that number on the scale and seeing myself in pictures were big factors in my motivation to change.
So I started trying to watch what I ate. I tried to be more active, but I didn't really have a plan so my progress was pretty slow. Here is when I tried something that did not work at all. Isagenix. If you haven't heard of it, it's a meal replacement "detox" multilevel marketing weight loss  product. It's not cheap but I decided my health was worth it. Then I learned what a mistake it was. On the isagenix plan they suggest a shake for breakfast, another shake for lunch and a 400-600 calorie dinner.  So on this plan I ate 900 to 1100 calories a day. DO NOT DO THIS. I was starving myself. Cutting calories that drastically will not help you lose weight. It will kill your metabolism and put your body into starvation mode. 
So for 6 weeks I starved myself. At the same time I was doing workout DVDs at home 6 days a week and working hard. The first week I lost 4 lbs, the next 5 weeks I lost nothing. Not a damn thing. I was crushed. I didn't understand what was going wrong. Why I wasn't losing 10 lbs a week like people on tv.  This is when I went to see my first trainer (fall of 2011) She was amazing! I absolutely couldn't have lost the weight without her. She told me I should be eating twice as much as I was. I changed my eating, worked out with her every couple weeks and got down to 220. Then I found out I was pregnant. 

January 2012: I continued working out but not as strenuously and focused on eating healthy.  I lifted weights, did yoga, Zumba and even the dreaded cardio machines. September 2012 had my youngest daughter. Weighed in around 200 after giving birth. I felt pretty accomplished and motivated to keep going. 
So after I was released to start working out. I resumed training. I still struggled with my diet. I also lacked discipline to workout between training sessions. Working with 2 kids at home, finding the time to workout was tough. I quit the gym I was going to and stopped seeing my trainer. I joined a gym with a child watch room hoping that would help. But I still struggled to actually go and I hit a 6 month plateau. I discovered Instagram more during this period and was inspired by weight loss success stories. I wanted to be one too. 
In April 2013 I joined a Facebook challenge to lose weight. I was more conscious of my diet and got a bit more active I lost some weight,but I didn't see a lot of change. I was calorie counting and getting some results, but I hadn't really figured out nutrition. That summer I discovered bikini body mommy (@bikinibodymommy) . A program by personal trainer Briana Christine. She has a free 90 day workout program that can be done at home. (She actually is working on here third challege)  I did her program and around the same time I discovered IIFYM (flexible dieting). Here is my day 1/day 90 photo 
During that 90 days. I really developed a love of fitness. It was so hard but I wanted to keep doing it. I felt so accomplished when I could do more reps or go faster or decrease my time on "mommy death march" (100 walking lunges in 4 minutes or less).
It was toward the end of that 90 days I started going to the gym more. I was a little intimidated by the weights so I would go in and do cardio. Maybe try a machine or two. Then I found a weightlifting program online. It was during this time when seeing a trainer initially really helped me mentally. Her words of encouragement during our time together stuck with me. I would talk myself through the struggles. "You can do this" always repeating in my mind. That fall, I found the awesome Zoe Rodriguez (IG @zoelivelovelift) who helped me more with my nutrition and her 12 week weight lifting programs are awesome and really reasonably priced. I continued weight training and iifym and hit that 100lb mark in early 2014.  The day I hit that mark was full of emotions. I was so excited to do a comparison photo. I felt very accomplished. I reached a major milestone. Yet I also felt a lot of negative feelings when looking at that before picture. I was reluctant to post my accomplishment online. I feared hearing criticisms, that's a topic for another time. I did post it though. I have found the positive far outweighs the negative. I've since been honored to be able to inspire and offer advice to others struggling with weight loss. My number 1 piece of advice: Never give up. You can do this! 



6 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of Briana and can't wait for 3.0! Ive also tried Isagenix. I can't get my head around IIFYM and I'm not a fan of tracking but it seems to work for a lot of people. Do you have any good links to research IIFYM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use myfitnesspal to track. At first it was hard but it's gotten easier. I looked up so much stuff on iifym from like everywhere. Iifym.com is a good place to start. You can also calculate macros to try there. It's really trial and error and seeing what works for you. What I love about iifym is I think it teaches balance and gives you a lifestyle that's sustainable.

      Delete
  2. I am so inspired by you! My pic now looks like your first pic. That's AFTER losing 75 pounds a few years ago! But now I'm in such a rut that I'm trying everything, like HCG :( I know that's not healthy for me. I'm just at the point that I Dont know where to go, what to do. Everyone says use "this" or use "that".. I just want someone to say do this, do that and you WILL lose 75 pounds by next Nov! I wish I had IRL friends like you that I could work out with and pick ur brain! Lol.. All my friends could care less about health, including my family, and that's so hard on me! Anyways, vent over.. You amaze me! I started following u today! Can't wait to see updates!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick with it. Check out iifym. I'll be posting about it some more (which should help) I swear it's a lifesaver!! You can do this!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenni,First of all: you are amazing!!!I'm following you for quite a while now. It really shows that all the little things add up at the end :)
    I'm reading a lot about flexible dieting lately,do you have any specific way you use myfitnesspal with it(or meal prep/planning meals for the next day?!)? I find sometimes if I plan ahead (and add everything to myfitnesspal beforehand to make sure I hit my macros) I'm not in the mood to eat that food when next day comes. So I end up mixing up things and kinda give up for the day. I lost 50 lbs with weight watchers before but I don't want to "go back" to any diet gimmicks. I feel like if a way of eating really works there's no reason for "going back" anywhere..if you know what I mean.I had a car accident this summer and I gained everything (!!) back. (Slightly fractured breast bone and fractured ankle which needed surgery) I'm trying to start everything fresh,doing P90 and swimming 3 times a week but I can't seem to clean up my diet. Annnnyway, long story short: do you have any tips and tricks to use myfitnesspal for iifym? Sorry for the long blah-blah,sometimes I feel like I can't talk to anyone about this who would really understand. Keep on going!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. Really planning ahead is the easiest. Or sticking to the same types of good for each meal (ie always having a protein source, veggie and complex carb at each meal) make hitting the macros easier. When I was getting started here was what I would do
      1. Always log before you eat anything. Sometimes seeing what you're eating might convince you to make a better choice
      2. At least by mid day, have an idea of how I will complete my macros for the day.
      3. Aim to stay within 5 g of each of your targets.
      4. If you don't plan ahead you might be eating a weird combination of food for dinner. Or maybe nothing at all. In that case I would usually eat some veggies with a little protein dip just to keep myself from getting too hungry and eating something I would regret

      Delete